Blog Archive

WHO ARE YOU TO ME? CHAPTER II

 

 

CHAPTER TWO—MATCHSTICK POETRY HOTEL

 Home, however, is not an easy place to be for two compelling reasons. First, my lover of seven years left me in late spring, early summer. He fell in love with one of his students. She is 37; I am 53. I cannot compete even though measure by measure I am slimmer, prettier, smarter, more charming, and probably a lot nicer. And then there is the matter of my imminent and premature retirement. My elderly, crippled directress, who drags her right leg, and implements capricious policies regularly has, at long-length, defeated me. I perceive  Alya as a crow, a spine-broken raven  umbrella.  She is as vain as any wicked queen in any fairy tale, and her alleged beauty is all smoke and mirrors: hair extensions, Botox injections, tooth veneers. At any rate, her rule of terror drove me to tender an early retirement, the notion of which both exhilarates and alarms me.

 Home is a shabby-chic  duplex on Royal Avenue with good bones but in a state of perturbing disrepair. (Like Charlotte? Like myself?)  My advance inheritance.  The first three years that  Ralph lived here with me , I felt so lovely and light. Every moment was an intake of breath, a ribbon of adventure until his moodiness and ambivalence toward me divided us.  I lived beside myself in a bubble of enchantment.  Strange that we should have met online even though we were residents of the same seductive city: Montreal.  Ralph moved out five months ago, and I’ve done very little cooking and cleaning since then. Just enough to get by. Things fell apart between us and my delusions  collapsed overnight. He became smitten with a younger woman, a Bulgarian student of his, and disenchanted with me. Suddenly I was too thin, my hair too messy. My lipstick was too thick and bright, my clothes too costumey.  In contrast, I was still enraptured by all of his flaws: slight stutter, round hips, shortish legs, putty nose, chipped teeth, flamboyant apparel, velvet and amber voice.

 We met on an online Poetry Community Website: MatchStick Poetry Hotel. My moniker was Dancing Bandit; his—Rasputin11.  His poetry was old-school, brooding, Heathcliff pacing the moors, Sweeney Todd hurling shabby women into the dragon-furnace. Mine was much terser.

We were instantly attracted to each other’s words and began to message each other privately. It was confounding  to discover that he also lived in anglo-Montreal and was an adult educator.

It took us months of phone calls before we met in person. The photos I had sent to him were retouched by Portrait Professional. My skin was perfectly smooth, my lips more plumply curved, my eyes deep-sea green. More distressing, however; he was five years younger. Whenever I’m out with a younger man, I believe he’s going to realize he’s made a mistake. He’s going to realize that my skin won’t do at all—too used, too loose. I postponed meeting  him  for as long as possible; our Internet romance was fierce and dramatic. I am so low-tech that Internet is like a magical kingdom to me; all the characters are larger-than-life. The electronic curtain is spun from such bewitching cloth. I remain transfixed by all that is not revealed.

 When we met for the first time, I was weak with fear. We chose Downstairs, a jazz club that was  situated downtown  but  upstairs in a two-storey building .   It was stony and dark, and I’m quite certain that the floor tilted. He was sitting all the way against the back brick wall. I had foolishly chosen to wear stilettos with pointe-shoe ankle ribbons, and walking was quite a chore. My steps sounded clumpy, as though I were wearing clogs. My dress was a witchy black swan number, and I had lightened my hair to two tones shy of platinum.  He stood up. A short, stocky man with moist chocolate eyes.  A deep cleft in his chin, big, shapely hands, long, strong fingers.

“Gloria, you are glorious.” He kissed my hand.

“I can’t believe we’re here. We must be crazy or brave. Either way, it’s so exciting to meet you.”

My voice was shaky, but at least I could still string words. What would my teenaged son think of me? Would he be amused or appalled? And what about my father, who still hoped that I would one day show reasonable judgement?

 We complimented each other, picked at our seafood, drank a couple of bottles of house white, asked and answered a posy of questions, listened to each other with apparent  respect and delight.

“You are so unusually beautiful, so pale. I love watching you. You move  your arms and hands and precise neck like a dancer.”

 I believed him.  It was a hot, white June night, and I felt like a woman of mystery, a platinum poet. We were both divorced teachers who lived in Montreal and were addicted to writing poetry. Though the evening was almost perfect, there were red flags, even as he was trying to fall in love. He flirted with the leggy young waitress, and he asked me if we could begin living together.

 “Let’s not waste time. Let’s experience this adventure and turn our lives inside-out and upside-down. Let’s live together. What do you say, Gloria? Are you going to stay or run away?”

 I was infatuated, drunk and lonely and so I said, “Agreed. When would you like to move in with me? There has to be one condition, though. No sexual duress. No erotic blueprint. We’ll make up the rules as we go along. Can you, will you, agree to that?” How peculiar that as I spoke these words, I wanted to be with my father, in either of our gardens, speculating, planting, but mostly just being close to his handsome, honourable, seasoned silence.

 I suppose that because Ralph was a native Montrealer, I didn’t consider him to be potentially dangerous. Even though he had flirted quite piercingly with a few female members at MatchStick, he was here with me, and he claimed to find me alluring.

 We didn’t go home together that night. Instead, we agreed to meet at an NDG sushi bar in precisely one week to either seal or break the deal.  I was wondering whether he felt more or less real to me now that we had actually met.  He walked me to the metro station, and drew me close when we said good night. He held me tight, and I was proud that my stomach was flat and that my thighs felt hard. In contrast, he was a little soft, but his skin was aromatic and warm.  He was his poetry, and nothing was going to contradict that for a good long while.  I didn’t know whether I felt ugly or beautiful, old or ageless, but I certainly felt alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment