Blog Archive

WHO ARE YOU TO ME?—CHAPTER III

 

Chapter Three—False Memories and the True Nature of Orchids

 

It is Sunday, two days after Charlotte’s manicure, and my distaste of Lydia has had time to ferment . She emailed me late Friday evening, delighted by how many tasks she had accomplished that day. I didn’t respond.  She emailed me again on Saturday with more of the same self-congratulatory comments. She telephoned me late Saturday night, but I didn’t pick up. Her message mentioned her kite-running high produced by the heap of events she had executed over the past 32 hours.  I have decided to block Lydia from my life. Now all I have to do is to send her bouncing face-to-face.

 I visit my parents  almost every Sunday; sometimes my son joins us. He is their eye-apple.  Both of them were born on the same day of the same year and they are happier together in advanced age than they have ever been. At least, my witnessing skills tell me this. They cook together, figure out the vagaries of Internet options, garden on their condo roof-top, watch CNN with fervor, stay true blue to Barack Obama through his difficult mandates, and shop for gifts on Amazon. My father, Joshua, is still handsome, even at the age of 83. He has maintained his boyish walk and trim physique and his lips curve naturally into a hearty smile. My mother, Diana, is slender with refined, almost sharp features.

 They met when they were barely twenty at her father’s Inn in the Eastern Townships.  She was waitressing and working at the front desk along with her four lovely sisters.  When my father  studied each one of the comely Shaw girls, he couldn’t decide who  the prettiest one was.  He knew only to whom he was the most attracted: Diana, with the slight overbite and cherry red lipstick. Unless, unless he did not exclude the eldest: long-stemmed Rose with her bouncing auburn curls and distractingly deep bosom.  Perturbingly, there was something off about Rose. She laughed too loudly, spoke and walked in abrupt chops and halts, wore too much feverish rouge . Also, it was rumoured that she could hold down neither a job nor a boyfriend, but her lips and hips were luscious.

 The year was 1948; the aura in and around Montreal optimistic, almost charmed. Anything seemed possible for the young and healthy.  My father spent the entire summer at Hollyhock Inn. He was there with a young auto mechanic, Karl, who was later to become a millionaire, but remain a lifelong friend. He courted Diana fastidiously, but a sliver of his imagination stalked  Rose. My father never understood his obsession with James Shaw’s eldest daughter, and he confessed it to me only after she died. Rose had never married. She had lived her life tentatively, never certain of who she was or who she hoped to be.

 In fact, my father was soon enamoured of Diana’s entire family: her hard-working  and gentle mother and reckless red-haired father, both of whom had emigrated from  Ireland. How different they were from my father’s prudent parents, and the main difference was religion. In those days, it was scandalous for a Jewish boy to marry a Gentile girl, especially if she hadn’t converted. I suppose that the inverse was also true, but James Shaw was a free-thinker, and conformed to nothing but his own notion of what made sense.

My mother presumed my father was just interested in a good time, and she held on tightly to her virtue. But oh! The warmth, charm and energy of her family. At meal-times, there was so much hot debating and easy banter, so unlike the rather dour dinners held in my paternal grandmother’s stiff and formal dining room. And so, my smitten father threw caution to the wind and proposed marriage to his Irish sweetheart. His parents refused to talk to him for years, but they relented when I was born.  Unfortunately, they remained ill at ease with my mother and never met any members of her family—not even once.  In contrast, my mother’s parents welcomed Joshua from the outset: a pharmaceutical student with impeccable manners and a car to boot!  They praised him to the skies, telling all of their daughters repeatedly that he was their favourite son-in-law by far.

 My parents  chose to elope even though James  Shaw offered them the gracious dining room in his well-known Inn. (He would  lose it due to unpaid back taxes only a few years later, and go on to other  brazen investments, which all ended in financial disaster).

 On this particular visit, I feel clingy and needy. My dad shows me his new collection of orchids.  They are grouped gracefully on a round mahogany table around a stained-glass lamp he designed and built himself.  The lamp is a work of art to my fantasy-addicted eyes:  lagoon-green mermaids perched on slate grey rocks, their tresses silver and gold. My father enjoys his freckled orchids. “The flowers last for months, and look at the homely speckles. Don’t they remind you of frog bellies? They look prehistoric, almost ugly and yet the creamy texture and rose and lavender tints look like brush-strokes. What an intriguing mixture of ugliness and beauty.”

 “But, Dad, surely they’re more beautiful than they are ugly,” I both assert and question at once.

 “That’s not certain at all, Gloria.  I can tell you this, though. If they had cost more than $24, I wouldn’t have bought them.  Do you remember when Provigo was selling Venus Fly Traps?”

 “Yes, yes, come to think of it, I do. And for very little money, as I recall.  I was very tempted, but being an aspiring vegetarian, it seemed peculiar to buy a carnivorous plant.” I change the subject abruptly. “Dad, I want to thank you for helping me out, supporting my decision to opt for early retirement.”

 “Gloria, honey. You’ve worked hard. If you need to walk away from it all, and figure your life out, your mother and I are all for it. We have your back.”

 On cue, my mother enters the study, so lovely in a white sweater, turquoise shawl and black trousers. Her hair is pale-silver and her eyes have always looked green to me even though she claims they are merely hazel. The three of us walk single-file to the breakfast nook where my mother has set an elegant table of smoked salmon, rye crackers, vegan-wasabi caviar in little mounds on Melba Toast rounds and creamy slices of drag-queen flamboyant Dragon Fruit with its quirky black-headed edible seeds.

 I love my mother dearly, but I adore my brilliant father. We sit down, and in the background Leonard Cohen is snarling and crooning. I will always be safe with my parents alive. When they depart, I will be shipwrecked, and  I don’t even begin to understand what that means.

 We eat quietly. My mother offers wine. We decline. My early retirement will start in only two weeks, at the end of the autumn session. My parents share the concern that I will be defeated by the lack of structure, that the minutes and hours will drag me down into dark and doubting waters. My father also retired young, but in his case, it had been a seven-year-plan and his acumen at reading the stock market had made him what is humbly referred to as comfortable. They were prepared to support my drastic decision, but they had one major concern: my eBay spending. They both agreed that it was on the edge of being out of hand, and perhaps they were right. I only knew that it gave me great pleasure and I tried to be very reasonable with my highest bids.

 Dad suggests we take in a movie, but I don’t want to be in public; the movement and dissonant energies  of  throngs of people are very draining.  My mother mention my brother’s upcoming wedding in Vermont.

 “I hope it isn’t going to be too cold. A tent-wedding in November is risky business.”

“There should be plenty of space-heaters, but  just in case, I’ll have toasty throws in the trunk,” my father explains.

 “Gloria, tell me about Susan’s dress.” My mother is a fashionista. She loves dressing up for parties even though she doesn’t feel beautiful anymore.

 Susan and I had chosen her dress shortly after Ralph moved out. I think she believed the quest would be a distraction for me, and strangely, it was. We entered upscale, minimalist boutiques on Laurier and I was immediately attracted to a one-of-a-kind raw silk turquoise dress. The lines were simple; the fabric shimmered. The colour of the dress was a perfect replica of Susan’s jewel-toned eyes. When she stepped out of the fitting room, I could only hope that she would choose this one. No other would do. No matter how many dresses she might try on, none of them could possibly possess the same magic. I was ecstatic when she said this was the dress she had to have. We hadn’t yet acknowledged the price tag—$1200.

 I watch these bride-stalking-perfect-dress programs on TV. The attendants provide long, white garments that are often beaded, feathered and flounced and classified as mermaid, princess or ballroom. And the costs are more often than not over $5000. I shake my head over this. A fat girl is a fat bride. An ungainly girl is an ungainly bride. A beautiful girl is a beautiful bride. I don’t appreciate the wedding gown being a costume, disguising the personality of the bride.  Luckily, this custom need not apply to older, second-time brides.

 Even though the dress was perfect, it was not perfect for a near-winter wedding. Susan and Saul had hoped to have a summer wedding, but US immigration had other thoughts, and Susan did not receive her clearance until November. Her brother was to be the caterer. Catering parties was one of his many sidelines. My gift was to supply the wedding cake. The wedding would take place on their tract of land which was framed by Lake Champlain and a marsh.  I had spent a weekend there over the summer. There was a carpet of collectibles all over the main room, and tables were piled with tureens, cups, figurines—items that Susan hunted down painstakingly and sold on eBay, Etsy and Ruby Lane.

 After brunch, I help my mother wash the dishes; she usually eschews the dishwasher. I then decide to walk home. It will take about an hour, but the crisp air might do me good.  I am in turmoil. At my age, how could I have and be so little? And will I have and be even less once I stop teaching?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment